Friday 29 April 2016

Chill Nights-Review

Hey everyone!

It feels like decade since the last post. My apologies. But without beating around the bush let's get right down to it. 

I love reading. It's just the most amazingly relaxing thing to pick up a book, sit on the couch and just go on a journey with the author. To whole another world, a totally different dimension. To forget the world and escape reality even if it just for a few minutes.

"Every time you open a book, a little magic falls out." - Anonymous.

My cousin sister and I on the way back home from a movie went to the library and got ourselves some books. I got myself a pair of books after such a long time and I was so excited to read but I had my exams going and promised my cousin that I wouldn't read them till they had ended. I had two more exams left but I also had two whole weeks to finish reading the books. 

The books I had gotten were 'Just After Sunset - Stephen King' and 'Chill Nights - Dean Koontz'. The minute I saw a Stephen King book I picked it up instantly because King is a famous writer known for his supernatural fiction, horror works and me being me couldn't help but grin like crazy as soon I read the summary on the back cover of the book.  On the other hand, the other book that had I picked out was solely because of the title and the very horrifyingly captivating cover of the book. I wasn't aware of the story line of the book as the back cover just had a picture of the author. It's probably the first book that I bought without knowing what the story was actually about. 

After my exams were over, while everyone was hyped about being able to go to their native or go out to the movies, I was excited that I could finally read my books. Being a book-lover, having to stare at the books and not be able to read them while they were right infront of me was nothing but pure torture BUT I endured it and finally was at bliss. I decided I would read 'Chill Nights' first and read Stephen's book later. I wanted to save the best for last. 

I started reading but couldn't stand the inner-nagging of constantly wanting to know what the story was about and I eventually ended up searching about in on Google. NOW I was truly at bliss. Let's get into it. WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

The concept is about 'subliminal perception'. The ability to control the sub-conscious mind.  The whole book discusses about 'behavioral modifications' and gaining control of the sub-conscious. Apparently, the sub-conscious mind is much more superior to the conscious mind comparatively ,what can not be achieved or observed by the conscious mind is done by the sub-conscious mind. Advertising agencies also try to promote their product through subliminal advertising. More about that in the book.

THE STORYLINE:
***********************
The whole story goes on about how a scientist named Ogden Salsbury with the help of a millionaire Leanord Dawson and military general Ernst Klinger come up with what they like to call a 'key-lock' program and subliminal drug that would help them control the sub-conscious mind that would help them take over the world inheriting more money than they could have ever possibly dreamed of.  The subliminal drug however, like any other drug has it's own side-effects such as nightmares, insomnia, nausea and night chills- hence the title. These three cunning men decide to use a little town named 'Black River' with a poor population of just 400 people as a 'test field' for their subliminal drug.

Meanwhile, Paul Annendale along with his children Rya and Mark Annendale  go to 'Black River' on vacation which became a family traditional getaway of sorts after the recent loss of Annie Annendale. They spend the first week of the vacation with Sam Edison and his daughter Jenny Edison. The story revolves around how the town and their lives are affected by the program and drug and how they manage through all the chaos that follows.

MY REVIEW:
**************
The book in general is a good read. It isn't a big book. Quick read if you got a lot of time on your hands. It's divided into three parts. The Conspiracy, The Terror and The Ending. The concept of sub-conscious control was very interesting. You tend to learn a few things and it does come to a bit of shock that subliminal advertising and such started in late 50's-60's. 

Generally books are a bit boring at the beginning which would explain why not many people like reading as they tend to get bored reading the first few chapters. But in every book as the chapters go, it slowly builds and gets more intriguing. On the other hand with this book the interesting bit starts instantly. 

As every other book the story does build but that's about it. It never gets exciting like other books normally would. After all the havoc that occurs, everything just seemed to have happened a bit too easily. Everything falls into place in the blink of an eye and just like that it's over. I was never fully satisfied and felt that there was still a part or a chapter a two of the book that I had left out. At the same time, the characters and the background of it all is a bit depressing and gray. The scenes don't come to life and the characters aren't vivid enough. Was a bit too plain but relatable in a way.  Honestly, the 'Terror' part of the book wasn't really terrifying at all.

All in all it was a pretty decent book. Probably not the thriller that I expected but worth the read. Though I believe the author's note was a bit exaggerated. He said, "By the time they have finished this book, many readers will be uneasy, frightened, perhaps even horrified". I definitely wasn't frightened or horrified but I could say that the character Ogden Salsbury did have a tendency to make me uncomfortable and cringe every now and then so partly true. I wouldn't recommend the book and it isn't exactly a page-turner but if you find yourself interested then sure go ahead. 

I'm reading 'Just After Sunset' as of now and shall get back with another review once I am done. Till then good bye. 

Take care and keep smiling :) 

Jezi




1 comment:

  1. Good work Jezi.I wasn't aware that you started writing again. Love you

    ReplyDelete